DAILY NEWS

Irish news

New York Cardinal places U.S. nuns in Ireland; Summer epilogue service in Lisburn Cathedral; Taney’s New Intern Deacon; DUP now backs victims’ charter

New York Cardinal places U.S. nuns in Ireland

Cardinal Timothy Dolan in New York, the most influential member of the Catholic Church in the U.S., was the driving force behind the creation of a new convent in Drogheda, Co. Louth, complete with four American nuns.
2014 latest VCP-510 dumps

St. Colette’s convent, part of the bigger St. Mary’s parish in Drogheda, is now home to the American Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, otherwise known as Sisters Jacinta, Monica, Veronica and Kelly Francis.

They arrived in Ireland earlier this month as part of Dolan’s dream to repay the Sister of Mercy nuns in Drogheda who came to teach at his Missouri parish, Holy Infant, when he was growing up.

The Sisters of Mercy order eventually left Drogheda because of age and no new vocations, and Dolan came up with the idea to send four New York-based nuns, part of the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal order, to Drogheda as a tribute to the Mercy nuns.

The local Irish bishops, Michael Smith of Meath and Denis Nulty of Kildare of Leighlin, were happy to help Dolan bring his Irish dream to reality.

“Those religious women had a profound impact on my life. They were my teachers in six of my eight elementary school years, and still serve as friends and mentors,” Dolan wrote in the New York Archdiocese newspaper “Catholic New York.”

“Yes, they were splendid educators, but they were also strong women of warm, deep, joyful faith, who passed that love for Jesus and His Church to one young Timmy Dolan.

“My love and gratitude for them knows no restraint, and I have for decades reached for a way to repay Ireland for the gift they gave Holy Infant Parish in the Sisters of Mercy from Drogheda.”

The four Franciscan Sisters are now ensconced in their Drogheda home, and they are thrilled to be ministering in Ireland. St. Colette’s underwent a renovation to accommodate the new residents.

Sister Monica, 45, a native of Long Island with roots in counties Monaghan and Armagh, told “The Irish Times” that when she worked as an investment manager in Boston, she felt “something was missing.”

A trip to Medjugorje convinced her to become a nun.

Sister Jacinta, 39, originally from Northampton, knew she wanted to become a nun after a trip to Rome 13 years ago.

“I suddenly realized Jesus was interested in me personally. It deeply, deeply changed my heart. I was 26 . . . I was overwhelmed by this amazing joy you couldn’t manufacture. It was a feeling of almost like falling in love, which you cannot control,” she said.

The new arrivals were celebrated at a Mass at St. Mary’s in Drogheda on Thursday, August 15, and Dolan made the trip to Ireland to participate. The Mass was also celebrated by Smith and McNulty, while the papal nuncio in Ireland, Archbishop Charles Brown, was at the post-Mass gathering.

Summer epilogue service in Lisburn Cathedral


Over the summer, the Lisburn city centre congregations of Seymour Street Methodist, Lisburn Cathedral and First Lisburn and Railway Street Presbyterian have come together for an epilogue service each Sunday evening. 



The venue on August 18 was Lisburn Cathedral. The service was led by the curate, the Rev Simon Genoe and the praise was led by the Lisburn Cathedral Worship Team. The Scripture lesson was read by the Rev John Brackenridge (First Lisburn Presbyterian); the prayers by the Rev Brian Anderson (Seymour Street Methodist) and the address was given by the Rev Brian Gibson, who will retire as minister of Railway Street Presbyterian Church in October.

In his final epilogue address, Mr Gibson recalled the outreach work of the Lisburn City Centre Ministers’ Fellowship which comprises of ministers from seven Lisburn city centre churches – Seymour Street Methodist, Lisburn Cathedral, Christ Church, St Patrick’s, Lisburn Christian Fellowship, First Lisburn and Railway Street.

Taney’s New Intern Deacon

On September 22 four new Deacons will be ordained in Christ Church Cathedral. They will then become Intern Deacons in parishes in Dublin and Glendalough where they will work until next summer. This week each will be profiled in turn.

David Bowles was born in Dublin where he attended St Brigid’s Church in Stillorgan and also St Brigid’s Primary School. Afterwards he attended Newpark Comprehensive School in Blackrock. From there he went to DIT Cathal Brugha Street where he completed a three year Diploma in Hotel Management. Following this he spent a year in London in the Kensington Hilton as trainee manager.
itcertworld

David returned home and worked in hotels before studying accountancy part–time. After working for several years and passing a number of accountancy exams, he felt called to train for ordination. He spent five years working in the finance department of a semi–state body and currently works as assistant accountant in Poster Management Group.

He was accepted to train for ordination in 2008 and completed the foundation course. He elected to study the Masters in Theology part time which has taken another four years. During this time he completed four placements in very diverse parishes. These included St Maelruain’s Parish in Tallaght, St Bartholomew’s in Clyde Road, Crinken Church in Shankill and Christ Church, Bray. “I chose these parishes for their diversity and have not been disappointed.  I thoroughly enjoyed each and learnt a great deal from my experiences,” David says.

In 2006 David married Michelle and they have two children, Harry who is four years old and Hannah who is three years old. The family lives in Bray and attends Rathmichael Church. Harry is starting primary school in September so it is very exciting and a time of great change for the whole family.

“God has called me to spend my Internship part–time in Taney Parish over the next two years with Reverends Robert Warren and Jack Kinkead. I am very excited although not undaunted by the prospect. I pray that God will guide me and my family and be by our sides on this next step of our journey. He certainly has been with us so far, I feel very blessed and privileged that God has called me to his service,” David concludes.

DUP now backs victims’ charter

News Letter – The DUP has backed a victims’ charter which calls for an end to terrorists being defined as victims and urges the Irish government to account for “failures” in border security during the Troubles.

The charter was launched in April by Innocent Victims United (IVU), a consortia of 14 terror victims’ groups, and has been backed by the UUP’s Danny Kennedy and Mike Nesbitt, the TUV, UKIP and the Orange Order. However the DUP held back because the charter also opposed the development of the Sinn Fein-backed ‘peace centre’ at the Maze.

However, with First Minister Peter Robinson last week withdrawing his party’s support for the centre, IVU spokesman Kenny Donaldson launched a fresh appeal on Sunday, calling for renewed backing for the charter.

Mr Donaldson gave “a cautious welcome” to the DUP’s Maze decision adding: “People power and, more accurately, the power of truth has prevailed. Innocent victims were quite simply not prepared to remain silent any longer – they have gained their voice and, over the coming months, that voice will only get louder as they push on with our ‘agenda for change’ in restoring decency to a political and societal system which has become corrupt and deeply confused.”

Yesterday junior minister and DUP MLA Jonathan Bell, who attended the launch of the charter, responded that the DUP was now fully behind it.
itcertworld exams

“The actions of Sinn Fein over recent weeks, and in particular the re-traumatisation visited upon victims in Castlederg, have undermined community consensus for the development of a peace centre at the Maze site,” he told the News Letter.
More at –
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/dup-now-backs-victims-charter-1-5404407